Wednesday, October 16, 2013

RIP Brian David Wolfe



I just heard the news about Brian David Wolfe.
It is not fair to see someone as talented and nice of a guy like Brian go. 
Way, way back when FX Show in Orlando was a thing, I stumbled upon a booth. Two twin brothers were doing make up for pretty much nothing to support there new Punisher fan film. There makeup work was amazing! I asked if I could be made up as an undead cowboy and they graciously excepted. I sat in the chair while the brothers worked their magic and saw the awe and wonder of passers by looking at their work on me. When all was said and done I remember Brian looking right at me and saying "You are truly 'The Horror Guy' now". Little did I know, this was the start to a great friendship. I met George A Romero in that make up and he absolutely loved it! I met Robert Englund in that make up. It was the biggest horror experience of my life! I went home and started making a photo in MS Paint collage (lol) and remembered the nick name Brian gave me and that kick started my career with horror and my nick name.

Months later the Wolfe brothers asked if I'd join in there Marvel Zombies group at Dragon*Con and it was phenomenal! We were the biggest and coolest group at the show! That was how I became friends with Brian Boling and Yaya Han. We had pictures taken with Arthur Suydam the cover artist for Marvel Zombies. It was an experience of a lifetime. And what did Brian and Nick Wolfe ask for in return? A hand shake. Brian and his brother do what they do to put smiles on faces and to just have fun.

At the Sith party after Star Wars Celebration, I remember looking up and seeing Brian's mug as Darth Sidious. Just looking over the party goers in his evil chair and it was just PERFECT. I cracked up and waved hi. Then I see Brian waving me up to the stage. He didn't care how cool and epic he looked. He just knew it. He had me lean down into the chair and I asked "How's it goin man? Diggin the party?" and he responded back with "It's F'in HOT in here!" We both laughed and that's when it hit me. Brian was always laughing and smiling. Even with the evilest mug on in the galaxy, he was right as rain!

A few years later I heard about Brian's stint with cancer and it really scared me. This crap can happen to anyone. Even the nicest guy on earth. I'd go to work at Universal and talk with friends who knew Brian and we would all just stand around in silence at how this crap can come out of nowhere. Brian's family is so beautiful, I couldn't imagine seeing his daughter and wife sadden by what was happening. Though the out pour from friends was huge! His kickstarter " Brian Wolfe's Fight for Life " did great! I went through it almost everyday reading all the wonderful things Brian did for these people and it was our turn to help him and his family.

Only a few weeks later Spooky Empire, Inc. came around and I was struck in awe. I saw both Nick AND Brian dressed up for the show. They walked up to me as always and were just super polite and energetic. And here I am thinking about saying "Brian, shouldn't you be getting rest or in bed?" But then I thought "No, I'm not bringing that crap up. Brian is here to forget all that and just have fun in his spooky environment." The boys went on there way taking photos and creeping kids out. That was the last time I physically saw Brian. And I really wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm really going to miss you brother. Paint the heavens.



1 comment:

  1. Terribly sorry to hear of his passing. He was a wonderful person and an inspiration to the industry. My condolences to his family. They truly have a lot to celebrate in remembering him!

    ReplyDelete